Local one-day trips and overnight tours are offered through the Shepherd’s Center of Richmond to members as well as the general public. Past participants have enjoyed plays at Wolf Trap, sight-seeing in New Bern, and touring historic Richmond. Upcoming trips are listed below. To sign up:
- please call or email the office and confirm space is still available. 804-355-7282. pgrimes@TSCOR.org
- sign up and pay online, or mail your reservation slip and check made payable to “The Shepherd’s Center” to: 3111 Northside Avenue, Suite 400, Richmond, VA 23228.
- A reservation slip for each individual traveler is required.
VA STATE CAPITOL & EXECUTIVE MANSION
Tuesday, October 1, 2019
Hate driving downtown? Parking a nightmare? Then join us on Tuesday, October 1 when we tour the VA State Capitol and Executive Mansion. We’ll meet at First Presbyterian Church, where free parking is available, and travel by bus to enjoy guided tours of both the Capitol and Mansion. Seating is limited! Register by Thursday, September 26 to save your seat and enjoy hassle-free travel. See details and reservation slip here. Or, sign up online here.
CHURCH HILL FOOD TOUR
Friday, October 18, 2019
Please join us for a unique experience in Church Hill, where we will be exploring Richmond’s oldest neighborhood while sampling delicious food and snacks from 5 different restaurants. There will be Richmond comfort food, authentic Ethiopian Fare, possibly wood fired pastries, and more. You will hear about the birthplace of Richmond and its heroes and how restaurant owners got their start. Small samples of food at each stop will be provided which will be enough for a full meal. Vegetarians are welcome. It’s going to be a fun afternoon. The duration of the tour is 2.5-3 hours and involves 1.5 easy walking miles rain or shine. Be sure to wear comfortable shoes & bring some water– we’ll be standing at most of our stops, and we’ll be in and out too quickly for water and other beverages to be served. See details and reservation slip here. Or, sign up online here.
Arena Stage, Saturday, November 9, 2019
In the summer of 1899, the newsboys of New York City took on two of the most powerful men in the country — Joseph Pulitzer and William Randolph Hearst — and won. Inspired by true events, the Broadway smash hit is a testament to the power of standing up and speaking out. The Tony Award-winning musical features fan-favorites like “Carrying the Banner,” “King of New York” and “Seize the Day.” Newsies is “a winning, high-energy musical” (Entertainment Weekly) just in time for the holidays and perfect for the whole family. We open this opportunity to the grandchildren, great grandchildren or younger relations of our travelers! (Recommended age 9+) See details and reservation slip here. Or, sign up online here.
~ ~ ~
1. If you have interest in going on a Shepherd’s Center trip, please send your payment with the slip from the flyer as soon as possible. This will ensure your reservation, assuming that the trip is not already filled. If you have waited until close to the time for the trip, please call the office to find out whether the trip is full. The sooner you get your check to us, the greater the chance that you will be able to go. **Note** The “deadline” on the travel flyer indicates the last day that the tour company accepts reservations. The trip may be full by that date. Please register early!
2. We are not able to put your name on the trip roster until we have received a payment and a registration slip from you. Calling the office to ask to be put on the roster is no longer an option. It has caused a great deal of confusion in the past and we can no longer do it.
3. If you send us a check and the trip is already full, we will call you to ask whether you would like to be put on the waiting list for that trip. If you decline, we will immediately return your check. If you accept and are not able to go because no spot becomes available, we will refund the amount of your check.
4. If you would like to travel with a friend, we must have complete information for that person in order to put them on the roster. Please do continue to let us know that this person is your traveling companion or roommate, but we cannot put someone on the roster simply as “Mary’s friend Jean”. When we receive a check and complete information for your friend, we will add him or her to the roster.
5. Health Forms: For long trips, it is often a requirement for every traveler to submit a health form. The forms remain in the sealed envelope in which you sent it to us. They are all put into a large sealed envelope and carried by the trip leader(s). In the event of an emergency, your health form will be invaluable to the doctor or hospital where you are treated. All sealed forms are shredded at the end of a trip. We do not keep them for any reason.
6. Refunds: For short trips of one day, cancellations made within thirty (30) business days of departure are “Non-Refundable,” unless either you or we can find someone to go in your place. The Shepherd’s Center and the tour company have already made payments for your meals, theater tickets, and so forth. If there is a waiting list for the trip, then there is no problem.
7. For any trip that lasts 2 days or more, the first $100 of your deposit is non-refundable under any circumstances. A portion of the balance of your deposit, or any additional payments that you have made may be refundable if either you or we can find someone to go in your place. Since refund is not guaranteed, we strongly recommend that you consider travel insurance.
8. A brochure for travel insurance is sent to you with the receipt for your deposit.
9. Meal preferences are taken into consideration to the extent that the providers (restaurants, hotels) make options available. Vegetarian meals, when available, will be listed as such on the travel flyer.
10. Please make The Shepherd’s Center aware of any life-threatening allergies that you may have, such as seafood or peanuts. We will do our best to take these concerns into consideration, but we cannot guarantee a risk-free trip for you.
11. If you use a walker, cannot climb stairs, or walk distances with ease, please contact the trip leader (listed on the flyer) prior to making your reservation. Please discuss the demands of the trip with the trip leader. Together, you can determine whether the trip will be suitable for you.
12. As with any tour sponsor or company, The Shepherd’s Center reserves the right to determine that a traveler is not able to participate in our tour(s).
Thank you! – The Shepherd’s Center Travel Committee