For 35 years, The Shepherd’s Center of Richmond has been helping seniors to continue to live independently in their own homes. Our volunteers help those who are 60 or older get to medical appointments and to grocery stores. We also offer light handyman help and friendly caller services.
To qualify for services, a person must
* be 60 or older;
* be able to walk (use of a cane or walker is fine, but we cannot accommodate wheelchairs);
* live within our service area (see below);
* have no serious cognitive impairment.
We are not able to offer services to persons in assisted living facilities or retirement communities where transportation is available, even at cost.
Our services are free, and our volunteers do not accept tips or gas money. You do not need to be or become a member. If you would like to make a donation to The Shepherd’s Center, the volunteer will have an envelope for you to use.
We provide service in the following zip codes:
23059, 23060, 23113, 23114, 23219, 23220, 23221, 23222 (Medical Only), 23223, 23224 (Medical Only), 23225, 23226, 23227, 23228, 23229, 23230, 23233, 23235, 23236, 23238, 23294 *new clients intake temporarily suspended due to the need for more volunteer drivers in area
For more specific details on how to request services, please read the Guidelines to Making a Request for Services located below.
If you would like more information, or would like to become a client, please contact the office at 804.355.7282.
You may call to request a ride or any other service only after you have spoken with one of our staff, completed an application and received your welcome letter. This process usually takes about a week.
Guidelines to Making a Request for Services
All requests for services are handled through The Shepherd’s Center office. Contact the office if you need to get in touch with a volunteer. We will have them call you. Please, do not call a volunteer directly.
- Requests for all rides must be made at least one week, or 7 days, before a doctor appointment or the need for groceries, but can be made up to two weeks, or 14 days, before a doctor appointment or the need for groceries.
- All appointments must be scheduled between 9:00 a.m. and 3:30 p.m.
- Rides are limited to once a week.
- Rides to more frequent appointments, such as physical therapy & cancer treatments, cannot exceed 8 appointments in one year and are limited to one visit per week.
- We do not transport individuals to appointments where anesthesia will be used.
- Should it become necessary for you to use a wheelchair, please be advised that we do not transport wheelchairs.
- Cancellations are extremely taxing on our operations. If you must cancel an appointment, please call the office in a timely fashion so that we can inform the volunteer and perhaps use them to help another client.
- The majority of the time we are able to find a driver for you, but every now and then this is not possible. Because of this, we urge you to have back-up transportation, such as the CARE van.
- When requesting a ride, you must provide all of the following information:
- Date, day and time of your appointment.
- Doctor’s full name, building name, street address, zip code and phone number (With the high gas prices, we ask that you schedule appointments at the doctor’s office that is nearest to your home).
- Approximate length of the appointment itself. (How long will the doctor actually see you?
- Our office volunteers will notify you when we have found a driver for your appointment. The driver will call you to make further arrangements within 24 hours prior to your appointment (usually the day before).
- Do not ask a driver to make additional stops when in route (if the doctor needs you to fill a prescription after your appointment, it will be up to the driver whether they will stop for this).
- If grocery shopping, we need the name of the grocery store nearest your home and if you need to make any other stops (i.e., the bank). The time required to shop should not exceed forty five minutes. Please be mindful of your volunteer and try to keep the number of bags to a reasonable amount (for example, 5-6). Requests for grocery shopping are limited to once every 2 weeks (or twice a month).
- If requesting handyman services, give a detailed description of what kind of task or repair that needs to be done. Handymen provide repair services in rental homes, apartments and condominiums only on the personal property of the client. Repairs to the property itself should be handled by the owner or association.
- We do not charge for our services. Our drivers neither expect nor accept money for themselves or gas but, donations to The Shepherd’s Center are always appreciated! Your driver has envelopes for this purpose.
- All information we are given concerning requests for a service is held in strictest confidence by the staff and all of our volunteers.
Our office hours are 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday. If you get our answering machine, please leave a message and someone will return your call as soon as possible.